A Prospectus for Publishers
- Reasons Why AVKO Educational Research Foundation is looking for a publisher
- What Specific Research Findings has AVKO made that is of interest to the educational world as well as a commercial publisher who is looking to become a leader in the field
- A Listing of the AVKO Materials in Order of their Sales Potential for:
The HomeSchool Market
Book Stores and Libraries
Reasons why the AVKO Educational Research Foundation is looking for a publisher
- The answer lies in the middle two words of its name: Educational Research. AVKO is a non-profit membership organization that has devoted over twenty-five years in determining the causes of our low literacy rate and what if anything can be done about it.
- As AVKO has achieved its research objectives, it is now attempting to find a better way of disseminating to the field of education its findings in the form of materials and techniques via the commercial publishing route. Commercial publishers are in a better position to disseminate the materials and techniques through marketing that will return a profit to investors. Non-profits by definition cannot seek investors, sell stock or pay dividends.
What Specific Research Findings has AVKO made
that are of interest to the educational world
as well as to a commercial publisher who is looking to become a leader in the field.
- 75% of the words a poor reader cannot read consist of regular patterns that are never taught in basal readers, spellers, "phonics" based readers, "decodable" texts, whole language approaches, or handwriting texts.
- 75% of all the words containing these patterns that are not systematically taught cannot be read by poor readers.
- For a list of these patterns see The Patterns NOT Taught
- Poor readers (dyslexics) can become good readers ONLY IF they learn to automatically respond to these patterns such as the ci digraph that is pronounced /sh/ in words such as crucial, financial, social, specialties, suspicious, ferocious, audacious, beneficial, and that should be sufficient to make this point.
- But if you would like to witness a 17-year-old discover he can read the word malicious instantly only a few minutes after he had no idea what the word was, watch our free video.
- The 1st publisher that develops a reading/spelling/handwriting curriculum based upon these findings will have a marketing advantage over all the others.
- It is unrealistic to expect children to be able to "Read by Grade Three" because most children cannot be expected to learn what isn't taught, i.e., all the "FANCY" phonic patterns of English by the end of the 2nd grade.
- There are 5 distinct varieties of English Spellings. See "Read by Grade Three" A publisher who can market a curriculum based on an intelligent sequence of teaching the 5 varieties of English spellings will have an advantage over all the others.
A Listing of the AVKO materials in order of sales potential
for the world market
- Let's Write Right. Over 75% of the world's population uses an alphabet other than the English. Yet, nearly all business is and will continue to be conducted in English. The demand for an efficient way to teach English and the sine qua non, the English alphabet, means there is a great opportunity to a current publisher or an entrepreneur willing to go after the Chinese, Russian, and Arab markets.
- No other handwriting system uses the very common sense approach of teaching reading and spelling AS the letters of the alphabet are taught and not after. The accent is on legibility and it teaches the student how to read (and write, if they wish) all the major forms of English handwriting, both manuscript and cursive. By the time a student learns to write the entire English alphabet they will have an active reading/spelling vocabulary of over 3,000 words!
- The system will not interfere with nor replace the current textbooks used in these countries to teach English. The system will supplement and make the native systems function better.
- Starting at Square One is like Let's Write Right except that it is also written so that keyboarding can be taught simultaneously with handwriting which reinforces the rapid learning of decoding. It can easily be programmed so it can be sold as a disk or on a website for download with sound which is extremely important for learning and a great selling point..
- The Patterns of English Spelling This is the only reference tool of its kind and certainly should be in every foreign library that has an English language section for the teachers of English. It took over 20 years to compile this cross between a dictionary and an encyclopedia of spelling patterns. Where else can you look up in an index any word (except those found on bathroom walls) and find the page (or pages) on which all words sharing the same pattern may be found?
- This is a method of teaching spelling by teaching systematically the patterns of English spelling: The learning of English vocabulary can be part of the process of going from all to tall to stall to install to installment. Each lesson is cross-referenced to the page/s in The Patterns of English Spelling in which all the words sharing the pattern can be found. And as The New Word Families in Sentence Context uses the same page numbering as Patterns of English Spelling.
A Listing of the AVKO materials for the HomeSchool Market in order of their sales potential.
- This is a method of teaching spelling by allowing the child to discover systematically for himself the patterns of English spelling: Homeschoolers find that this method works whether or not their child is dyslexic. They love it.
- Individualized Keyboarding. Not only does this program help a student learn the keyboard but it is the ONLY keyboarding program specifically designed to help teach reading and spelling in a systematic and sequential manner.
- Let's Write Right. This is the only handwriting series that teaches reading and spelling AS it teaches the alphabet. It also is the only handwriting series that allows for individuality so long as it is legible. It also is the only series that helps student learn to read cursive before teaching it. This is because the manuscript letters in AVKO's alphabet only need to be connected to each other in the same manner as the Getty-Dubay Italic system and Don Thurber's D'Nealian, both of which may be used or modified so long as they remain legible.
- Speech to Spelling: This is the only supplementary spelling program designed to help students translate their normal speech patterns into proper written English. It helps eliminate the problems linked to apostrophes, silent -ed's (usta for used to, sposta for supposed to, etc.), the "wanna's, coulda's, shoulda's, and the hafta's.
A Listing of the AVKO materials with the greatest sales potential in Book Stores and Libraries.
- To Teach a Dyslexic. This autobiography is readable and filled with humor. If a publicist can ever get through to any of Oprah Winfrey's producers and get her to plug it on her talk show, not only will this book hit the best seller lists but it will promote the entire AVKO line.
- Sequential Spelling 1-7. The only spelling system designed specifically to help a student learn the patterns of English spelling without having to study any specific word.
- Sequential Spelling 1-5 CDs. Students can use the CD's and learn on their own.
- If It Is To Be, It Is Up To Me To Do It This book is for parents or spouses who want to help a child or an adult learn to read by learning to spell.
- The Patterns of English Spelling. This book should be in every school library from the elementary libraries to the college and university libraries.